Tuesday, January 30, 2007

the OPPRESSED: More Noize for The Boys (1998)

March 1981, Russel (DUCKY) Payne is released from Borstal and I get released from Prison. At the time we didn't know each other and it's just coincidence that we were both banged up for violence. Anyway, Ducky (GUITAR), his brother Ronnie (BASS) and Gary Tier (DRUMS), all Cardiff Skins, along with Martin Brennan (VOCALS) a valley Skin, form an Oi! band.
After tossing a few names around, including FORCED OPPRESSION, they decide that THE OPPRESSED fits the bill. So it was that with not much ability and a ton of enthusiasm the boys set out to have a ball.
While all this was going on I was forming INSANITY SQUAD with me on guitar, my brother Dom on bass, his mate Vince King on vocals, and a nutter called Ed Flemming on drums. Me and Vince was Skins and Dom and Ed was Punks so that made us Cardiffs first Skunk band. We played a few local gigs, recorded nothing and fell apart after trying play a gig so pissed we couldn't see straight.
Back at Duckys house Ronnie had left the band. No big story, he just wasn't into it. Looking for a new bass player they ask my mate, Paddy (SUEDEHEAD) Murphy if he wanted to join. Suede couldn't play a triangle so he suggested me. Me and him had seen their first gig and I remember telling Jayne ( ' ER INDOORS ) how "I should be in that band".
So Ducky, Gary and Brennan eventually turn up on my doorstep and make me an offer I couldn't refuse. I suggested Dom on Bass with me as second Guitarist and the boys were all happy. This was around Xmas 1981 and this line up lasted about a year. Brennan and Gary had decided to leave so I took over vocals and we found the Kid, Lee Jenkins, to take care of drumming. Lee was from Risca, about 20 miles out of Cardiff, a 16 year old Skin who told me "I'm fucking brilliant" when I asked him if he was any good, and "course I have, that's why I'm fucking brilliant" to "got a kit?" This line up lasted about 2 years and recorded nearly everything issued in the eighties.
Almost all our gigs ended in a ruck (boys will be boys) and eventually we just got pissed off with whole thing. We did get together in the studio with Juan Garcia, a punk from near Cardiff on drums. We recorded 3 cover versions but played no gigs. So that was it for the eighties. Less than 4 years but it seemed like a lifetime......
http://www.theoppressed.co.uk/home.html

Tracks:
1. The A-F-A song
2. do anything you wanna do
3. cumon feel the Noize
4. gudbuy tjane
5. mama weer all crazy now
6. madness
7. boots for stompin
8. skinhead girl
9. C-F-3
10. work together
11. sleeping with the enemy
12. fuck fascism
** Knock Out Recs.
** pw = hangoverhard.blogspot.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
D** Link >>>> http://paylesssofts.net/?x190b22491
-------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: